Monday, March 16, 2009

Adventure Day 23 - 3/16/09

When people think of an inheritance being passed on to the next generation, money is what usually comes to mind. O.K., extra cash can come in handy, but there are treasures of far more value. Yesterday in my sermon, I asked you to think about what of eternal value you have to give to the people you love the most.

Did you write out your list of names in your "Circle of Love" yesterday? If not, please work on that today, and then individually go over the names and pray, "Lord, please show me what I have of eternal worth that I can give to each one of these special people you have placed in my life." I believe the Holy Spirit will prompt you as you speak with Him about what would be both appropriate and beneficial. In the busyness of our lives, living as we do under the "tyranny of the urgent," we often miss out on doing what is truly most important. I assure you that one of the most important things we can do in this life is passing on a spiritual legacy. It might be as simple as writing out a prayer for a loved one, and then sending it off to them with a note that says, "You are loved and prayed for...." Maybe it might be a conversation with them in which you share how you came to know Jesus personally. Possibly it's buying a book for someone on your list, one that really impacted your life, and then writing on the opening pages testimony of what the book meant to you. Be creative....simply intentionally begin casting that spiritual legacy.

One of the precious gifts left to me was my Grandfather Martin's well worn Scofield Reference Bible. Every so often, I pick it up and read one of Grandpa's written notes in the page margins, and I am reminded of and again thankful for the spiritual legacy he left for me to live into. What legacy will you leave for your loved ones? Will it be a clear beacon to the Anchor of your soul?

Today's Adventure Bible passage is about one of my favorite Old Testament figures - King Hezekiah. [Read 2 Kings 20:1-21] What is your read on the King's response to the prophet Isaiah in v. 19? Who is he thinking about? Then ask yourself, who am I thinking about?


God's Peace, friend....
Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment