Monday, March 2, 2009

Adventure Day 9 - 3/2/09

Imagine if our church family received a letter from Jesus, evaluating where we are spiritually! I'm sure we would be interested in his thoughts, eh? And how could we lightly dismiss the words of the One who is the rightful Head of the Church?

This is what the letters we read in the first chapters of Revelation are like; they are Jesus' words to seven churches located in what used to be called the Roman province of Asia (now western Turkey). The letter assigned as today's Bible reading is found in Revelation 2:8-11, and is addressed to the church in Smyrna. If you and I had been part of that church, I'm sure we'd have read and reread what the Lord had to say to us.

I believe Jesus has a message for us in our day as well...one that he will make clear to us during this 50-Day Adventure together. Like his hopes for those ancient local churches, our church family can have our best days ahead, as we choose to make adjustments and calibrate to God's purposes and plans. Yes, I believe renewal is ahead...a time of revival and growth!

Will you commit yourself to praying not only for our church, but also for the the churches of America? As goes the churches, so goes the country.

Incidentally, the Church Office has four copies of Bob Farley's book, Salt & Light, that you can check out and read. Call Jana at the church office and get your name on the list. We'll contact you when a book is returned and you're next on the list.... It's an engaging evening's read, and it develops in detail much of what I summarized in yesterday's message.

[Read Revelation 2:8-11] Do you think American churches may ever be told something similar as Jesus tells this church in Smyrna?

God's Peace, Friends!
Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment